You know, I was contemplating a New Year’s resolution two nights ago and learned a very valuable lesson I’d like to share with you.
The number one New Year’s Resolution (in America at least) was to lose weight. I wasn’t any different when 2012 was rolling around, however, although I certainly did stick to my goals and lose 30+ pounds, I kind of obsessively wanted to keep going. For the first time, two nights ago, I had an epiphany. The only reason I am going to eat healthy and exercise is not for more weight loss or not to be aesthetically pleasing, but to be healthy. I find when I am in that mindset, things seem so much clearer. Exercise (other than walking as I have always loved to walk) doesn’t seem like a monotonous chore, and having a grilled chicken salad isn’t a toss up between a burger. Now, not to say if you need to lose weight, you most certainly should, I personally left mine back in 2011/12 thankfully. You most certainly should lose weight for a myriad of health reasons you could repeat in your sleep. Whether you are already at your healthy weight or not though, keep the mindset to always exercise and eat well to be healthy. Not to be the thinnest. or the most muscular, or to prove some type of point. No. Don’t do it; you’re only harming yourself. Beside, when you only act to be healthy, everything else follows. You will lose weight because you are eating well and moving your body, you will gain muscle because you are eating and lifting weights and doing bodyweight training and not insanely obsessing over how many calories you have left for the day. Your body needs fuel to live, and your body needs movement to live. Give it both. If anything, I truly wish a New Year’s full of health for you. Blessings and a lot of love.
You know, I swear you find the best things when you’re not looking! Today on a trip out to dinner my boyfriend spotted a little spiritual store we’ve never seen. We went in and found so many beautiful items. We ended up leaving with the little pocket loves here! I’ve never seen a little Green Man! I am so happy to have found him! Then the pentacle – it’s perfect! As much as I love the seasons and the Wheel of the Year, I don’t have any pentacles, and to find this special little one (a pocket charm so I can always have it close) is such a delight! I love them so, they have all of my happy energy in them, they hold it quite well! Oh, and not pictured, but we left as well with some Nag Champa organic incense. I wasn’t aware they made organic, I am just so happy! Happy energy and love to you all!
Enjoy everyone! Your body will thank you. Happy moving my friends!
“Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the Divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, author
How many times have you heard someone say, “Whew, I need some self pampering!” or even, “I need some “me” time”? Well, you know what’s a shame? Those phrases are said all too often.
Having “me” time or pampering yourself shouldn’t be something you treat yourself to once a week or once a…eek, month. Now I understand some people are so busy they don’t even think they have time to go to the bathroom, however, no matter how busy you are, you always have time. How? Oh let me count the ways…
- Wake up 5 minutes, yes, only 5, earlier to open your curtains, or step outside, view the sunrise or just the beauty Mother Nature lies out for you day after day. Breathe.
- You have to drive to work? Most of us do. Is your commute longer than you’d like it to be? Great! Pop in some meditative music, or some sounds of Nature, or even relish in the silence of the tumble of your car’s engine and your breath. Don’t worry about angry drivers – they are their own people with their own worries, emotions, and personalities. You are you, in your own body and mind.
- In the shower. Sure, you have to get to work, get the kids ready for this or that, or a myriad of other things, but what about taking the time to really caring for your body? Even if you make it a quick affair, gently massage your scalp with shampoo, relieving any tension you may hold there. Lather soap into your skin, massage the warm water into your thirsty neck and back muscles. Relish in the moment you have all to yourself.
- Give yourself a full body massage. Yes, this one requires a little more time than than the others, however, it is well worth it if you can find the extra 10 minutes. Start at the top of your scalp, and work your way all the way down to your toes. Don’t forget your extremities and each finger as well! You’ll be surprised at what a good job you can do yourself.
- Exercise. You may have just scoffed, I know – you think you don’t have enough time. Start marching. Now. Go ahead, start marching until you finish reading this post. You don’t even have to lift your legs high, just move. Not so bad, huh? Oh, and while your watching TV tonight, remember this post (if you’d like) and do a few push ups or crunches, possible a jumping jack or two? Any movement is better than none. Your body craves it.
- Treat your mind to a blissful vacation. Are you dieting? Are you stressed? Use your mind, as you lie in bed, envision what it is that you most desire. A peaceful vacation in the mountains in Springtime? You’re there. Be there. As you drift to sleep feel, taste, hear, and see everything around you. Are you craving a piece of chocolate cake? Go ahead and feed your mind. Don’t just think it – feel it, move your finger through the thick frosting, indulge. Slosh the cake around and chew it thoroughly. Your mind is the only one out of your being’s trio (mind, body, and soul) that wants that cake anyway. [Beside, the more you fantasize about eating something, the less you crave it. A post to come on this.]
Now, these are just 6 simple ways above to pamper yourself on a daily basis. There are countless others; especially depending on your individual likes. So go ahead, pamper yourself daily. There is always a way, it’s just a matter of convincing your stubborn mind that you CAN be relaxed and work a 10 hour shift. Much love to everyone of you. My wish for today is for everyone who comes across this post to find some way, no matter how small or large, to find some time for themselves. We all deserve it.
I just wanted to thank each and every one of you who have taken the time to like, comment, and follow on my blog here. All of your feedback means so much to me, I truly appreciate it. Much love to you all this holiday. Be safe and enjoy everything the Universe has to offer you!